This busy thoroughfare, which is the main north-south connection between Suisun City and Fairfield, became the focus of improvement efforts following a number of tragic accidents in which pedestrians were struck and killed by passing trains despite railroad safety devices that functioned as designed.
Last year, the City installed a number of new signs in the area warning pedestrians and motorists to show particular care near the rail crossing.
The new, permanent improvements will include:
- The major project components is the installation of a Fairfield water line from Suisun City limits on Sunset Avenue to the existing signalized intersection of Railroad Avenue and proceeding west on Railroad Avenue to the culvert crossing
- Installation of a new full phase traffic signal at the Railroad Avenue/Sunset Avenue intersection that will interconnect with existing Railroad Avenue / Sunset Avenue and Sunset Avenue / Travis intersection, including preemption with the UPRR
- Installation of curb, gutter, and sidewalk on both sides of the roadway
- Overlay, striping and a middle median with stamped concrete on either side of the Railroad tracks
- Entrance monument sign
- Upgrade existing signal at Railroad Avenue / Sunset Avenue to a camera operated signal intersection
- Both sides of Sunset Avenue will have ADA accessibility with a pedestrian/bicycle path on the either side of the roadway with safety crossing at the UPRR tracks separating the sidewalk paths from the roadway.
Contractors' bids are due February 21. The work will be scheduled after the City Council awards the contract in either March or April.