The budget can be located at the City web site ( www.suisun.com ) by following the City Hall tab and navigating down to Financial Reports under the Administrative Services Department header.
>> Click here to go straight there >>
As City Manager Suzanne Bragdon notes in her budget message, there are a number of important themes taken into consideration while developing the balanced budget:
We continue to live through historic economic times that cause both tremendous challenges and unique opportunities.>> Click here for the complete budget message >>
The County Assessor has indicated an "expectation" that average, county-wide assessed values will decline by 3%; the fourth straight year of property value declines.
The City's short- and long-term priority continues to be fiscal stability, which means the City needs to:
City service focus in on all segments of the community - services and programs that support long-term economic vitality, strong and safe neighborhoods, and a community that is a desirable place to visit, live, work and raise a family.
- Be prudent in the use of one-time monies that have been used to "bridge" operations until known economic development efforts come on-line (e.g., the Wal-Mart Supercenter).
- Continue to trim operating budgets while utilizing alternative approaches to filling vacancies (e.g., cross-management, cross-training and contracting out). The budget assumes eight vacant positions remain unfilled, which is roughly 10% of the City workforce.
- Position the City for new development opportunities when the economy does turn around.
- Maintain a strong eye on reserves; for FY 2011-12 General Fund reserves are at roughly 25%.
- Continue to provide City's business community and residents with the highest level and quality of services possible.