Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Media: Space heater fire burns Suisun City home

From Daily Republic (Subscription required)

SUISUN CITY - A Wednesday morning fire gutted a home on Ring Neck Lane after a space heater fell into a bed, setting it on fire, Suisun City Fire Department officials said.

Suisun City firefighters were called to the 400 block of Ring Neck shortly after 8 a.m. to find smoke pouring out the home's windows and the house already involved.

All four residents who lived at the single-story home at the time got out without injury. The fire that sent a plume of smoke over town.

One resident first learned of the fire when the woman whose room the space heater was in, ran out of her room and said the house was on fire. Fire officials confirmed the account.

The man entered the bedroom to find the bed burning. He tried to get an extinguisher from the garage, but gave up the attempt because of smoke and because the fire was moving too fast.

Suisun City Fire Chief Mike O'Brien later stated the blaze started when the space heater fell off a shelf it was on and caught the bed and blankets on fire.

Eleven firefighters, three fire engines and a fire truck responded to the blaze. People and vehicles from Fairfield Fire Department, Suisun Fire Protection District and Cordelia Fire Protection District were called up to support the Suisun firefighters.

Firefighters arrived within three minutes of getting multiple 9-1-1 calls and knocked down the fire within 20 minutes.

The house was close to a total loss. The occupants had renters' insurance to cover their lost possessions which is a rarity, O'Brien said.

Reach Ian Thompson at 427-6976 or at

No comments: