>>Click for full article>>
By Ian Thompson
SUISUN CITY - Suisun City's last two undeveloped waterfront areas go before the City Council Tuesday for votes on if the city should start talks with a developer to build on one and hire a consultant to examine the best possible uses for the other.
No one has developed a 3.44 acre site at the end of Civic Center Boulevard due to concerns about potential toxic contamination. An old sewer plant was located there.
Now, Suisun City planners wants the City Council to approve exclusive negotiations with the Concord-based Silverwing Development to see if the site can be developed.
The land just west of it, which is also open, is being considered for possible development as open space, pedestrian trails and public access to the waterfront.
If the council agrees, the city and Silverwing have the next 90 days to determine if the land can be built on.
The council will also vote on whether to hire Berkeley-based Design, Community & Environment to determine if city proposals to improve the waterfront south of the Delta Cove neighborhood are feasible.
In September, the City Council heard a shopping list of ideas city planners sketched out for the area including:
- Relocating the fuel dock closer to the boat launch and moving the fuel storage area away from where potential development may go.
- Extending the pedestrian promenade south to the
- Improving the fishing pier or create two new piers, one for fishing and the other for people who just want to watch aquatic activity on the slough. This could include a dock that would accommodate kayakers and the local youth rowing club. A new fishing dock may be put adjacent to the boat ramps.
- Putting in an aquatic center and storage building to allow the Parks and Recreation Department to store material for waterfront events.
- Extending the boat ramps farther south.
Design, Community & Development is offering to examine the city's ideas and come up with possible designs for $15,000. Two other firms offered to do the work for $67,000 and $96,000.