SUISUN CITY - Nothing can ruin the Christmas spirit faster than being the victim of a crime. Unfortunately, burglars view the holiday season a little differently than most people. For them, it is an opportunity to burglarize your home for cash, credit cards and gifts.
Don’t be an easy target. Follow these simple tips and have a safe, happy holiday season.
- Be extra cautious about locking doors and windows when you leave home even for a few minutes.
- Don’t openly display your Christmas tree and gifts in the front window.
- If you go out for the evening, turn on lights and a radio or television so it looks like someone’s home.
- Make it a point to retrieve your mail shortly after it is delivered. The longer it stays unattended in your mailbox, the greater the chances of someone stealing it.
- Stay alert and be aware of what’s going on around you.
- Park in a well-lit space, and be sure to lock the car, close the windows, and hide shopping bags and gifts in the trunk. If shopping near your home, consider returning home to drop off gifts. They’ll be safer there than in your car.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash; pay with a check or credit card whenever possible.
- If you need to use an ATM, use one inside the mall or some other well-lit populated area.
- Accompany and supervise children in public facilities, including restrooms.
If you see something that looks suspicious, call 9-1-1. For Non-Emergency calls, dial 707-421-7373.
Have a safe and joyous holiday season.